A Day out- The Deep- Hull

February 3, 2018Jenny

We first took Big to The Deep when he was only a year old, and have been coming back regularly ever since, thanks to their annual pass scheme. Paying once for your tickets and then returning unlimited times over the course of the following year has made visits very affordable and we enjoy eating in the café, too, which is very reasonably priced.

As you enter the Deep you go up to the top floor in a lift and then come out at a viewing window across the east of the city and down towards the docks. Even on a grey day you can see the ferries coming in and out of the terminal and it is a great view of the Humber estuary.

The Deep the Humber estuary

The exhibition takes you down by a sloping walkway, all the way to the walk-through tunnel at the end. This means that it is very accessible; by pushchair/pram and wheelchair. It is also a great way to get a sense of depth and reflects the exhibits; you start off in the shallow water, then go down to look at creatures which live deeper in the ocean.

The Deep- a megaladon's jaw

The first part focusses on the origins of life in the oceans; with lots of models and interactive displays of prehistoric sea creatures. Big especially likes this part and has always been keen to learn the names of these, how long they are, what they eat, etc. The displays are very good; I especially like the way they include a size comparison with a human being,  so you can get a feel of how big they were!

The Deep a tropical tank The deep coral The deep yellow fish

The first tank is of fish in shallow water; a tropical beach scene. This has recently been renovated and looks great, you can see into the tank from above, as well as through the side. There is also an interactive area here for children to touch and feel certain creatures, with the help of an explainer, at specified times of the day. More tanks with tropical fish lead down to the penguins. This is a major draw for Little. He spends most of each day, at the moment, as a penguin or a superhero, or sometimes a confusing hybrid of both, so he is in his element, here.

The Deep penguins

There are lots of other animals, too; ants march along ropes from their nest to get their food, and back again, snakes, spiders, insects and frogs are all there. Big and Little also like the ‘weird’ animals; garden eels pop up out of the sand, axolotls- known as the ‘walking fish’- have to be seen to be believed, and even the jellyfish have an ‘other world’ quality when you see them up close!

The deep jellyfish The Deep garden eels

There is so much for children to discover at The Deep and as the boys are slightly older each time we have been, there is always something new they get from it; a fresh realisation or wonder, or piece of information which they are really taken by.  It is really lovely to see them taking everything in and seeing the experience pop up time and again in their play afterwards!

Two Tiny Hands

Mission Mindfulness
The ladybirds' adventures

• relentlesslypurple

February 7, 2018 at 12:12 pm

This looks like a fab day out! W love looking at sealife 🙂

February 10, 2018 at 11:24 am

It is great there- yes, kids do love it!

• Karen | TwoTinyHands

February 8, 2018 at 10:25 pm

What a great aquarium, I do love big aquariums and this looks like one. Penguins would be massive draw for me too! If I lived near hull I would be taking advantage of an annual pass. ‪Thank you for linking up to the #familyfunlinky‬ and joining in on the #abc123challenge, here’s to B’s

February 10, 2018 at 11:24 am

Yes, it is a great one- we’re big fans. Great idea for your challenge- now I need to think about a ‘B’ post!

• Louise – Cooking with kids

February 10, 2018 at 8:55 am

This sounds like a really fun day out. My children are getting to the age where they would get a lot out of a place like this (although I don’t know of anywhere near us that has land as well as sea creatures. Thanks for sharing with #thesatsesh

February 10, 2018 at 11:22 am

Great, Louise, thanks for commenting- kids do love it there! (So do I!)

• Berni

February 10, 2018 at 9:28 am

I’ve been there. It’s awesome. I love sealife centre . they’re like being on a different planet without the hassle of a space suit and a rocket launch ! #thesatsesh

February 10, 2018 at 11:21 am

Thanks for reading, Berni! Yes, aquariums are great like that- other worldly!

• Tracy Albiero

February 10, 2018 at 1:39 pm

I love our local aquarium! It is about an hour away but so worth it! I am a teacher and they have a program where teachers go free! We go often! #thatsatsesh

February 10, 2018 at 7:55 pm

Oh, that is great! Free admission for teachers! What a great perk!

• mummy here and here

February 11, 2018 at 5:27 pm

Wow, this looks awsome and so much fun. My eldest would love seeing all the sea life X #Tthesatsesh

February 12, 2018 at 8:06 pm

Great!

• fridgesays

February 12, 2018 at 8:51 pm

#thesatsesh love love love a one payment, rest of the year deal. Leeds castle (bizarrely in Kent) has the same scheme and I feel so smug every time we return lol. Little dude loves sea creatures, so this is totally his cup of tea. This week (half term) we are tackling the Nautral History museum – but Easter hols i think we will go to the London Aquarium….feeling enthused.

February 15, 2018 at 5:35 pm

I saw your Insta post from the Natural History Museum. It is one of the top 10 places on the planet. True fact. 🙂

• Hayley @ Mission: Mindfulness

February 12, 2018 at 11:22 pm

My lot would love this and I think my son would especially get loads out of a trip to the deep. You have motivated me to try and get here this year when we are up north visiting the relatives. Thank you. ‘#thesatsesh xx

February 15, 2018 at 5:32 pm

Definitely, it is really worth a visit.

• Malin – Sensational Learning with Penguin

February 15, 2018 at 10:59 pm

This place looks really brilliant! Love aquariums 🐠🦑🦈x #bloggerpinparty

• Claire @ The Ladybirds’ adventures

February 17, 2018 at 7:45 pm

Aquariums are great for babies to big kids. The deep looks great and is on my list if we are ever in the area. Thanks for joining #bloggerpinparty

February 25, 2018 at 1:05 pm

Thanks, yes, it is a great place to visit. I agree, even tiny babies can get so much out of visiting an aquarium!

• Helena

February 24, 2018 at 2:42 pm

It’s wonderful that you get to enjoy a really educational place all year. I’m sure you learn something new every visit. #bloggerpinparty

February 25, 2018 at 1:01 pm

Yes, we are so lucky to have it not too far away. It definitely is somewhere you can learn something new each time you visit.

• Tactical Tuesdays – 3.4.18 – Rabbit Ideas

April 3, 2018 at 1:29 pm

[…] that I have got slightly behind with blogging so am linking up a post from the archive this week- A day out at the Deep in Hull. I thought it might come in handy for ideas over the Easter […]

• Clare

April 3, 2018 at 3:00 pm

I used to work near there, although I have never actually been. It was just a work trip, but after reading this I am sure my little boy would love it 🙂

April 4, 2018 at 4:31 pm

Yes, most children are big fans- lots to see and do!

• Rachel | Kids, Cuddles and Muddy Puddles

April 3, 2018 at 11:02 pm

This looks like a fab day our, right up our street! Although I wish I literally was…Hull is miles away from us! We have passes to the Sealife centres and we too never get bored of going back! Enjoy the rest of your Easter break. #TactileTuesdays

April 4, 2018 at 4:31 pm

The sea life centres sound cool, too! Thanks for reading 🙂

• Joanna

April 7, 2018 at 10:38 am

We love visiting places like this! I love that they are educational as well as a fun day out!

April 9, 2018 at 6:40 pm

It is a great day out!

• Malin – Sensational Learning with Penguin

April 9, 2018 at 12:50 pm

Popping back for #TacticalTuesdays 😊👍x

April 9, 2018 at 6:42 pm

Nice to see you again! 😉