How to use Pinterest to Organise Activity Ideas

November 29, 2017Jenny

Pinterest is brilliant. It is a highly popular resource used by parents, childminders and early years teachers alike to collect ideas and inspiration. However, like any other resource, it can easily become cluttered and confused, leading to overwhelm and frustration as those brilliant ideas you found a few months ago get lost in all the busyness!  So, here are a few things I do to organise my Pinterest to make sure that I keep on top of good ideas, keep an eye on things coming up in the future and don’t get distracted and fall into a rabbit warren!

• Create different boards for different areas of interest.

If you are regularly searching for activity ideas of different kinds, having one or two boards labelled ‘Kids’ or ‘Fun things to do’ can easily get full and cluttered. My tip is to create a new board as soon as you find about five pins which could be grouped together. Recently I found that I was saving lots of Lego ideas into the ‘STEAM’ (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Maths) board. So, I set up a separate ‘Creative Lego’ board and now have the space to curate those ideas, making them easier to locate when we are planning a Lego activity. Similarly, I was saving quite a few quiet book ideas into my ‘Fine Motor’ board, so I created a ‘Quiet Books’ space of it’s own. This way, everything is easy to locate and navigate and I have far more chance of finding that perfect idea again when I am ready to put it into action!

• Create board covers

If you are using Pinterest as an organisation or business (a blogger, preschool, childminding business or early years unit of a school) consider creating board covers using your business logo. This helps people who find your account to see immediately what your brand is and locate whichever boards they might find useful to follow. It also means that if you are also on other social media sites, your followers will be able to recognise you quickly (providing you have a consistent logo and brand).

• Have some secret boards.

This is not compulsory, but I find it helps to differentiate between current projects and ideas, and those which I am just quietly thinking about in the background. At some point, I imagine that some of my secret boards will become public and shared, but having them filed away for now in secret boards prevents too much overwhelm of multiple projects flying around my head simultaneously. This way I can save some for the future, knowing that the inspiration is not going anywhere, just being stored for when I am ready to fully focus on it.

• Pinterest shows you what it thinks you like.

The more pins of a certain type you pin, the more of those will be shown in your home feed. For this reason, it pays not to get too distracted, if your focus is on early years ideas, you will be shown far more of this type of pin. If you do have multiple interests, keeping some in secret boards will help to organise them.

• Look at other people’s boards.

If there is a blogger or individual whose work you appreciate, have a look at who they are following, which group boards they are in and whose pins they regularly pin to their own boards. This can be a great way of locating the quality material on Pinterest and making your own boards somewhere where both you and others will come back to time and again for fresh inspiration.

• Use the … feature.

In the top right hand corner of your page there is a button … If you have a look on here it will tell you about any notifications which have come up since you last looked. This is useful as you can keep up with what other people you follow are pinning, anything which is trending and therefore highly popular, as well as what other people have found on your Pinterest and saved to their own boards. Essentially, it is where the ‘social’ aspect of this social media comes in, and can be a low-key and non-intrusive way to share interests with other like-minded people.

• Delete old pins and boards.

Every now and then I go through and have a good old de-clutter and delete pins which are no longer of interest. Similarly, I go through and delete old boards which are no longer relevant. Recently I created a temporary board to gather ideas together for a birthday party, then deleted it once it was all over. Why? Everyone is different, but for me, I would rather have as little irrelevant or redundant information going on as possible; that way I find it easier to concentrate on the main ideas I am focussing on and find more of these! I also think it is easier for other people who find your boards to be able to quickly and easily see if they would like to follow those boards.

So there you have it, hopefully these tips are useful for others, whether you are blogging or collecting ideas to use at home or in an educational setting. This kind of behind-the-scenes, technical post is a departure from my normal content of activity ideas, so, if you find it useful, please let me know- I’m always keen to receive constructive feedback! If you haven’t already- check out the Rabbit Ideas Pinterest boards here!

What My Fridge Says
The ladybirds' adventures

Tactical Tuesday at Joanna Victoria

• Hayley @ Mission: Mindfulness

December 4, 2017 at 11:33 am

Oh my – Pinterest is just a whole new world to me…. which I must embrace in 2018. I will certainly be bookmarking this page and returning to it later as there are some really good tips on it. I think my first step is to look at your profile (is it even called a profile?!) and some other bloggers who I ‘know’ well more closely and see what to do from there. Thanks so much for an extremely useful post. #thesatsesh xx

1. Jenny Rumney

December 11, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Glad this was useful, I’m not an expert at all but always happy to chat further about what I’ve learn through trial and error this year of blogging. 🙂

• fridgesays

December 4, 2017 at 8:19 pm

#thesatsesh I blooming love a pinterest declutter! its like having a new wardrobe, i also adore a secret board of hopes and dreams…and guilty pleasures 🙂 As you know my blog is inspired by quotes and i collect them on pinterest and then record the ones I’ve used on another board also…its brilliant and I love how you’ve broken it down into sections. Off to pin some useless images and make myself feel like I’ve spent a fortune shopping 🙂

1. Jenny Rumney

December 11, 2017 at 5:52 pm

Haha, yes, Pinterest is really addictive! So useful for collecting ideas and making sure they don’t vanish though! Great idea about collecting quotes, I do this too, always useful to have a stash there!

• Jenny | Midwife and Life

December 14, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Pinterest is so useful for blogging and for family life! I love it. #bloggerpinparty

1. Jenny Rumney

December 17, 2017 at 1:53 pm

Glad it was useful! There are lots of great clips on youtube to help with Pinterest, too. 🙂

• Sophie

December 15, 2017 at 8:44 am

You are BlogCrush over at LUCYathome.

As a relative newbie to this Pinterest malarkey I loved this post! I also love your site as we have lots in common being involved in Early Years.
    Xx

1. Jenny Rumney

December 21, 2017 at 1:09 pm

Thyank you for the Blog Crush! Glad you liked this post, looking forward to reading more of your blog, too, in the new year 🙂

• Tracey Bowden

December 15, 2017 at 10:09 pm

My Pinterest desperately needs deleting and restarting all over again. I’ve lost my way on it and need some tips so thanks for this it was really helpful #blocgrush

1. Jenny Rumney

December 21, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Glad it was useful!

• Claire @ The Ladybirds’ adventures

December 17, 2017 at 9:35 pm

I love pinterest for kids activities. Lots of great tips for keeping our boards organised. Thanks for sharing with #bloggerpinparty

1. Jenny Rumney

December 20, 2017 at 5:03 pm

Thank you Claire, I really enjoy linking up with blogger pin party!

• Alice | Letters to my Daughter

December 20, 2017 at 5:29 pm

Wow, now that is ORGANISED! I love the idea of making board covers about the board – mine just have one of my post images as the board cover. Thank you for sharing your secrets!

And congratulations because someone loved this post so much, they added it to the #BlogCrush linky! Feel free to collect your “I’ve been featured” blog badge 🙂

1. Jenny Rumney

December 21, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Thank you so much, I have picked up the badge, thanks again. 🙂

• Lucy At Home

December 21, 2017 at 1:24 pm

This is so helpful! This week, I just branched out into the world of Pinterest and I am trying to work out what on earth I’m doing! I’ve seen a few people mention the board covers – I think it makes it look so much more professional, but I can’t work out how to do it – do I need to add the image as a pin and then select it as the cover? Sorry I’m probably being dim!

Anyway, congratulations because someone loved this post so much, they added it to the BlogCrush linky! Feel free to collect your “I’ve been featured” blog badge 🙂 #blogcrush

1. Jenny Rumney

December 29, 2017 at 1:46 pm

Hey, thanks for commenting, I’ve sent you an email about the board covers 🙂

• Helena

December 24, 2017 at 2:25 pm

There certainly is a lot of inspiration t be found on Pinterest. I created my board covers this year and join in with some groups but have yet to get to as many followers as you have. #bloggerpinparty

1. Jenny Rumney

December 29, 2017 at 1:48 pm

I think it is a marathon rather than a sprint with Pinterest! Thank you for reading!

• Michaela Britton

January 25, 2018 at 1:55 pm

I always end up failing with Pinterest as I start out adding everything, making different areas for different things, and then forget about it!

1. Jenny

January 27, 2018 at 6:07 pm

It can get confusing, I agree- if you ever fancy having a chat about how you can use Pinterest more- feel free to tweet me @rabbit_ideas or email jenny@rabbitideas.co.uk