7 Activity ideas to get the most out of your play dough.

November 2, 2017Jenny

Play dough is such a versatile resource. For the Early Years stage (0-5 yrs), it can be used to explore virtually any topic or practice a whole range of skills. But sometimes we all run out of steam and children do get bored with the same activity again and again, so here are 7 activity ideas to get the most out of your play dough; one for every day of the week!

-Scissors

This is a brilliant way of building confidence with cutting in toddlers and younger pre-schoolers. Playdough is much easier to cut than paper, giving them a confidence boost and taking the frustration out of grappling with more challenging cutting activities.

-Numbers and letters

This can be done in many ways: free play with wooden letters, specific letters they are currently learning, starting to put letters together to form CVC words, or moulding the play dough into the shapes of letters using a laminated play dough mat.

-Dinosaurs

Dinosaur or animal footprints is a consistent favourite choice round here; this is always the beginning of a great storytelling session, with little imaginations really running wild!

-Loose parts

Loose parts can be made of anything small and malleable– we raid pound shops for flat-bottomed glass beads, coloured sticks, cupcake cases, string, toothpicks, etc. to make into patterns and create with. Adding play dough to this opens a whole new opportunity for creating 3D structures and models.

-Cooking utensils

Already in the house, these provide a great chance for making creative marks onto playdough– potato mashers are great for this, as are forks, egg cups, lemon juicers…

-Numicon

Numicon is a brilliant resource for early maths. Most Early Years settings will have a set, with children quickly learning the number of holes or spaces in each piece and how they can fit together. Numicon and play dough work well together; the children can roll little balls to fit inside, or build towers, adding and taking away as they play.

-Natural materials

FREE natural materials such as pinecones, feathers, sticks, stones, pebbles and shells are great with play dough. Mark making can be really interesting this way, as can creating unique designs and pieces or art.

So there you have it, 7 activity ideas to get the most out of your play dough. Most of these ideas are free with things you might already have, many are low-cost and all are easy to do time and again. All you have to do is switch around the location, the stimulus (i.e. maybe link an activity to a different picture book) or focus on something current going on; a birthday party, the seasons changing, etc. et voila, a whole new activity is born!

If you are interested in more play dough activities, be sure to check out the Rabbit Ideas Pinterest Play Dough Board which has a wide selection of pins to see.

Like this post? Pin it for later!

Activity ideas to get the most out of your play dough. *Disclaimer: This post contains some affiliate links to products similar to ones we have used. If you purchase though the links, I may receive a small percentage of the profits to support the running of this blog. This will not affect the cost of the products to the buyer.

Burnished Chaos
The Pramshed
What My Fridge Says
Mummies Waiting

• claire @ The ladybirds’ adventures

November 10, 2017 at 9:07 pm

We love play dough here. We’ve tried all these ideas. Loose parts of nature are my favourite. Thanks for sharing with #bloggerpinparty

1. Jenny Rumney

November 11, 2017 at 7:59 am

Yes, natural materials are great!

• Oldhouseintheshires

November 11, 2017 at 1:11 pm

Lovely post!
    I am love play dough and have written a similar post. I use Numicon with play dough and the kids love it. Cutting play dough with little ones is awesome. #thesatsesh

1. Jenny Rumney

November 12, 2017 at 1:21 pm

Yes- it is one of the best resources, I think!

• mummy here and here

November 11, 2017 at 4:14 pm

I love playdoh, it is one of the activities that I find really therapeutic. It also helps with helping with my eldest fine motor skills as he really struggles with co-ordination X #thesatsesh

1. Jenny Rumney

November 12, 2017 at 1:18 pm

Great that play doh helps, yes it is so versatile!

• Helena

November 12, 2017 at 10:51 am

I’m certain that my eldest would love this. My youngest is still trying to eat everything! #FamilyFunLinky

1. Jenny Rumney

November 12, 2017 at 1:19 pm

Haha, I remember that stage!

• Alana – Burnished Chaos

November 12, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Great ideas. I’d never thought of using it to help them gain confidence with scissors. I’ve also never heard of numicon so off to check them out.
    Thank you for joining #FamilyFunLinky x

1. Jenny Rumney

November 12, 2017 at 1:19 pm

Great- numicon is really useful!

• The Pramshed

November 14, 2017 at 8:21 pm

There are some ideas for PlayDoh here, and I think that I will definitely be doing some of these. I tend to run out of ideas other than make it into a ball, and I will refer to this post in the future. Thanks so much for linking up at #fortheloveofBLOG. Claire x

• fridgesays

November 16, 2017 at 7:48 pm

#thesatsesh love the idea of Numicons and playdoh – we will being doing this in the coming weeks. I also love the smell of the stuff, and the sensory benefits are endless. What a fab bunch of ideas 🙂 you’ve made me feel creative and I’ll defo be doing some of these.

• Polar Animals- Tuff Tray Activity – Rabbit Ideas

December 13, 2017 at 9:19 pm

[…] Trays are so versatile (see here, here, and here) and can be used for so many different types of activity. Sometimes it is nice to […]

• A to Z of Budget Fine Motor Resources – Rabbit Ideas

January 2, 2018 at 1:09 pm

[…] with small objects and create patterns or collect them into colours, shapes and patterns. Using scissors to cut, a pen to draw or small wooden blocks to build all involve fine motor skills- these would all make […]

• Malin – Sendational Learning with Penguin