19 STEAM Resources

May 28, 2017Rabbit Ideas

The importance of encouraging STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) activity in young children is widespread throughout early years thinking; numerous articles can easily be found on the subject, and especially on how we can all encourage more girls to engage with STEM at an early age. There is a newer development in this field; the addition of the ‘Arts’, thus turning STEM into STEAM.

One of the aims of STEAM is to engage more ‘mathsy’ children in writing and reading, as well as encouraging those more disposed to creative subjects into the sciences, too. As I have posted about before, toddlers especially do not think in terms of rigid definitions between subjects, they move fluidly between disciplines, so STEAM fits much of their play already.

Here is a list of the 19 STEAM resources we have in our ‘STEAM box’, which we use to solve problems which we often find in books or when creating stories (more on this in a future post!)

1 Lolly sticks

14 Notepad & pencil

15 Glass stones

16 Mini paint tray

17 Googly eyes

18 String

19 Mini bucket

Do you have a stash of problem-solving resources? Which useful items do your little ones always ‘need’?!

Like this idea? Pin it for later:

19 Steam resources *Disclaimer: This post contains some affiliate links to products similar to ones we have used. If you purchase though the links, I may receive a small percentage of the profits to support the running of this blog. This will not affect the cost of the products to the buyer.

The Pramshed
You Baby Me Mummy
What My Fridge Says

Comments

• mommabeaver3

May 29, 2017 at 10:33 am

Those are all great ideas! We also have a bunch of jeweler’s microscopes (which you can pick up for around $3 a piece on amazon if you’re interested). They’re also an excellent STEAM material to keep around. 🙂

1. rabbitideas

May 29, 2017 at 5:14 pm

Great idea- microscopes and magnifying glasses are brilliant!

• VirtuallyAllSorts

May 30, 2017 at 6:48 pm

I’ve never come across STEAM before, STEM yes, but this is a first for me. And a welcome first. It makes so much sense! A great list of resources too. Thanks so much for linking up to #AllSortsofBlogs and hope to see you again next month.

1. rabbitideas

May 30, 2017 at 7:00 pm

STEAM is awesome- so exciting for education in the future! Thank you for the linky.

• Heather Keet

May 31, 2017 at 5:58 pm

They call is STEM here in the states, no art incorporated. I hope they fix that soon because what’s the point of engineering if you can’t design it aesthetically?! #fortheloveofBLOG

1. rabbitideas

May 31, 2017 at 6:59 pm

I think it is growing into a real ‘thing’ in education- good thing too, yes indeed, aesthetics and tech, engineering, etc all need to go together. 🙂

• Kelly Edwards

June 3, 2017 at 8:45 am

I didn’t know that they’d introduced the arts into it – it makes complete sense though to show how they are related rather than creating an ‘us and them’ approach to making people choose if they like one or the other. Thanks for linking up to ##fortheloveofblog, hope to see you again next week x

1. rabbitideas

June 3, 2017 at 2:34 pm

Yes- all subjects link together, so it does make sense. Thank you for the linky

• Alana – Burnished Chaos

June 3, 2017 at 7:24 pm

This is such a great idea, I didn’t realise they’d incorporated Art, makes total sense x
    #TheListLinky

• Sam, Memories and Mayhem Blog

June 5, 2017 at 9:34 pm

I love that STEM is changing to incorporate Art! I work with teenagers and our STEM club has made such an impact, with the club being full every week, it will be great to see if it becomes even more popular now art is included. #TheListLinky

1. rabbitideas

June 5, 2017 at 10:10 pm

The club sounds great! What a good idea.

• Alice | Letters to my Daughter

September 30, 2017 at 10:08 am

Love this idea – good thing it was payday yesterday, I need to do some shopping!

1. Alice | Letters to my Daughter

September 30, 2017 at 10:08 am

#thesatsesh !!

2. rabbitideas

September 30, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Most of it can be from budget shops- and the recycling box is a great place to pick up cardboard bits!

• Fridgesays

October 4, 2017 at 6:39 pm

#thesatsesh ohh I’m totally partial to a post-it when it comes to a box of goodies, I’m also intrigued what you do with them in terms of STEM. Cant wait to read more.

• The Queen of Collage

October 5, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Thank you for sharing this. STEAM is a new thing to me. #thesatsesh