Story Stones- 5 Toddler Activities

May 14, 2017Rabbit Ideas

Story stones! Whether you buy these or make your own, story stones are a useful, reusable and easily transportable resource.

However, most toddlers are not yet at a stage where they can construct long or complex stories. This can lead to frustration, both for the child, and also for the adult who might feel that ‘they are not ready for this yet’.

So, here are 5 ideas to begin to use these resources to familiarise young children with the concept, whilst retain their interest and attention. These activities are a starting point, and, fairly soon, as they get used to these games, most children will start joining their ideas together to develop their own stories!

• Hide and seek. Simple, but a great way to familiarise children with the names of the objects on the stones and keep their attention!
  • Which one is missing? This is a great way to develop a child’s memory, as well as widening their vocabulary. We just started with 4 stones, and played with them first before I took one away and Little has to guess which one was missing.
  • Free play. Often, if I pretend I am not listening, this is when Little begins to create his own stories. Sometimes if I comment or ask him questions about his game, he goes quiet or shakes his head at me. So sometimes, just by lurking and listening, I know that he is using the stones to build his own stories!
  • Adding another resource. These stones are so versatile. If Little is getting bored of playing them at the table, we add something else to the mix: model animals, a piece of fabric, a cardboard box. By putting the stones on a large piece of paper, you could write and draw around them, adding mark-making or letter learning to the activity.

• Change of scene. Have we played with these outside, in the sandpit, in the mixing tray, grass, taken them to the park, to grandma’s house to show her, set them up in a line along the bathroom floor… sometimes a change of scene can give any resource a new lease of life!

Cost: Stones: free- found in the garden,

Paint: free- already in our craft box.

Do you use story stones? What activities do your under 5’s enjoy?

Like this idea? Pin it for later:

One of Each #littlemakes

You Baby Me Mummy
What My Fridge Says
Burnished Chaos

• Helena

May 16, 2017 at 12:58 pm

We have yet to use story stones but they do look great. #littlemakes

1. rabbitideas

May 16, 2017 at 9:13 pm

Thank you, Helena!

• Little Fish (@LittleFishBlog)

May 23, 2017 at 10:09 pm

Love these ideas! We haven’t tried using story stones yet, but I’m excited to give them a try. I love these ideas for getting kids started to the concept of using the stones. Thanks for sharing! x #thelistlinky

1. rabbitideas

May 24, 2017 at 5:03 pm

Thank you, let me know on twitter how you get on!

• Lara

May 31, 2017 at 6:49 pm

Fantastic idea! I’ve never heard of this!

1. rabbitideas

May 31, 2017 at 6:58 pm

It is so easy and cheap to do at home, too! Thank you for commenting. 🙂

• hayleyrd

May 31, 2017 at 7:56 pm

This is such an awesome idea! My boys have good imaginations too so I think they’d love this!

1. rabbitideas

May 31, 2017 at 8:10 pm

Great- let me know on twitter how you get on!

• Sarah

June 10, 2017 at 12:14 am

This is SUCH a fantastic idea! I will definitely be doing this with my little ones soon! #MakeItLinky

1. rabbitideas

June 10, 2017 at 7:13 am

Great- let me know how you get on: @rabbit_ideas 🙂

• Victoria (@LyliaRose)

July 22, 2017 at 9:52 pm

Great idea 🙂 We’ve painted stones before, but not thought of using them to make stories 🙂

1. rabbitideas

July 30, 2017 at 3:56 pm

It is such a versatile resource, and costs next to nothing!

• The Rhyming Mum

October 22, 2017 at 3:35 pm

Such a good idea. I’ll be trying this with my little girl when she’s bigger. #thesatsesh

• Hayley@ Mission: Mindfulness

October 25, 2017 at 10:02 pm

Ooooh now the girls would definitely LOVE these and I think our older boy would too! Story stones… I had no idea – I am so very un-creative so it’s great to find new ideas from your posts. #thesatsesh

• fridgesays

October 26, 2017 at 8:11 pm

#thesatsesh I love this idea and will defo ‘pin it’ for later – sadly my 4yo is still reluctant in the crafting area of life, but it would be lovely to make together and then play with. May be next summer?

• Jenny Rumney

October 27, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Oh, no, I have a reluctant crafter, too… unless it is dinosaur or lego related! Yes, a great activity for the summer, although seasonal/Christmas story stones would work well, too! Thank you for pinning!

• Jessica – A Modern Mom’s Life

November 13, 2017 at 1:33 pm

These are great tools for little learners. My kids are older and love painting on stones. I really like the idea of trying a small memory game with them. Isn’t is wonderful to lurk and listen to your child(ren) playing? They often create such a fun universe all their own!
    ~Jess
    #FamilyFun

• Jenny Rumney

November 13, 2017 at 6:07 pm

Yes- listening to those little conversations is great!

• Tammymum

November 16, 2017 at 7:48 am

I’ve not heard of story stones before. I think like you say mine are a little young for them but would really benefit from these activities just to get them to know a bit more about them. It cerianly an activity I’ll add to our list! Thanks for joining us at #familyfun