Taking things up a gear!

January 22, 2017Rabbit Ideas

p1040862

If you are interested in how mark making benefits children, this booklet aims to illustrate how this sort of activity can help children to fulfill their potential, later on. One thing which struck me was the following:

“In order to raise the status of early mark making, practitioners need to observe children, follow their interests and support the extension of their thinking.” Mark Making Matters, 2011.

This meant taking an interest which Little had already communicated, in his case; “trucks-and-cars”, and coming up with some new ways to develop his thinking here.

I raided the recycling, got out the paints and used his interest to guide us in mark making. This doesn’t have to be vehicles- any washable toys can be used: dinosaurs, animals, dolls….

I feel that I need to confess here; extremely messy play is NOT my preferred type of activity. Some people love it; I don’t. My top tips for coping if you are not generally a big fan but would like to give something like this a go are:

-Have a bath already run for afterwards.

-Do the activity with the child(ren) wearing only a nappy or pants.

-Cover the floor in cardboard, a sheet or an old shower curtain, or do it outside if you can!

p1040864

Having said all that, we did enjoy it and have a good time; driving the cars at different speeds across the cardboard, looking at the tyres and at the marks they made, dipping his finger in the paint and mark making that way, too. This was all before Little became preoccupied with painting his knees, his arms, his head… Which I suppose is a sensory learning experience in itself!

Cost of activity:

Paint: £2-£3 from Wilko, Cardboard: free-recycling, Cars: already owned- some from charity shops.

p1040865

What toys would your child use to do some messy mark making?

• mommabeaver3

June 10, 2017 at 1:05 pm

Messy play is the best! Clean up is a pain, but it’s SO good for the kids to play around with. Amelia loves playing with cars but she would be happy to run just about any toy through paint. She really enjoys that kind of thing. 🙂

1. rabbitideas

June 10, 2017 at 1:07 pm

That’s lovely- great that she enjoys it!

• Nicole Roder

June 10, 2017 at 1:32 pm

What a cool idea! I am so terrified of anything messy, I never would’ve even thought of something like this.

1. rabbitideas

June 10, 2017 at 5:12 pm

I get prepared in advance and do it when we are all feeling positive- it does take some prep but most kids really enjoy it!

1. Nicole Roder

June 10, 2017 at 7:38 pm

You’re such a fun mom!

• Stacey MacNaught

June 11, 2017 at 8:38 pm

My oldest son is 2 and is absolutely car crazy. He would love this!! Rainy day activity on the list.

1. rabbitideas

June 11, 2017 at 9:12 pm

Definitely, also works well with trains and bikes!

• 25 Mark Making Resources: – Rabbit Ideas

November 18, 2017 at 6:58 pm

[…] they can erase and do again, such as in a sand tray or on a chalk board. Other children might love messy play, whilst some are not at all keen! The important thing is to keep offering a range of mark making […]